.

.

Mission

The mission of Capernaum is to provide, with integrity, professional, caring, and cost-effective pediatric services, so as to help the child reach his/her full potential. Capernaum provides physical, occupational, and speech therapy services to children with a wide range of developmental needs.

For more information on Capernaum’s services, visit us at www.capernaumpeds.com

Jan 27, 2015

Capernaum Book Club: Snowmen at Night

Written By: Caralyn Buehner 
Illustrated By: Mark Buehner 

Snowmen at Night is an enchanted tale about the fun and games that snowmen play while you are sleeping. It’s no wonder your snowman’s grin seems a little crooked and his tree-branch arms have moved when you look at him in the morning! He was up making snow angels, having snowball fights and drinking “cold cocoa” with his snowman friends all night long!

This delightful book kept the attention of my 2-year-old as well as my 7-year-old. The rhyme and rythym keep the story moving and the illustrations are bursting with details and charm. I think this is a must buy (or a must “check-out”) for all kids!

I love doing literacy-based projects with the kiddos, and since this book was such a hit, we decided to do some extension activities to go along with it. 
I printed out some journaling paper that I found online and adapted the activity for the three kiddos I was working with at the time. We decided to write our own ideas about what snowmen do at night! The 7-year-old wrote and illustrated his ideas independently. The 4-year-old dictated her ideas to me while I wrote them and she drew a picture by herself. My 2-year-old wanted me to draw a picture for him, so I made an outline and together we worked on adding all of the body parts a snowman would need. 


Like always, adapting projects to the level and needs of your own kiddos is key. Almost all projects can work for kids of all abilities if you think a bit about what your goal is and what support the child needs in order to meet the goal. Make sure to keep reading the blog for more fun snowman activities!