Meet another of Capernaum's great staff members, and learn a little about
who she is and why she chose a career in pediatric therapy!
** We are excited that Elise will be leading one of our
summer workshops on handwriting starting in June! **
(See the list of summer groups listed below this post.)
![]() |
| Elise Long, OT |
I am a school-based occupational therapist. I work at the Academy of Whole Learning, Northside Child Development Center, New City School, and Nativity School of Our Lord. I started working for Capernaum in January 2016, right after graduating from graduate school.
Why did you choose to become a therapist?
I knew that I wanted to do something in healthcare and found out about OT during college by doing shadowing and volunteer work. I discovered that OT was the perfect blend between my interests, a good fit for my personality, and allows me to help people increase their independence and participation in the activities that they want and need to do! I may be a little biased, but OT is the best profession!
How did you discover Capernaum? What made you desire to become a Capernaum team member?
I found the job posting online and recognized the company name, as one of my OT professors, Paula, works for Capernaum. I instantly loved the company's values, goals, and mission statement. "Helping families find joy in their journey"...what could be better than that?
Share a favorite story about working at Capernaum.
One funny story that sticks out to me is with a preschooler I was working with. With every activity that I presented to him or any suggestion I would give him, he would respond, "That's genius!" even when it was his idea! I love the joy, energy, and laughter that the kids bring to my day. There are never two days that are the same!
What's your favorite way to spend a free afternoon?
I love going for bike rides, baking cookies, watching the Food Network, exploring the many parks and lakes of Minnesota, and wandering the aisles of Barnes & Noble.
